M&S Personality Feature: Nikki Honasan’s Christmas Shopping Tips
Shopping can be a challenge when you live in an island and little access to shopping areas. So when does she make her Christmas list and shop for gifts? She said when inspiration hits her. It could be as early as September or as late as December
Having a theme helps her narrow everything down. She believes one can never go wrong with a “food showcase”. Food is the wisest gift to give. It’s practical and leaves zero waste. But she makes sure it fits the recipient’s preference.
“I shop at Marks & Spencer for clothes, but I never forget to stop by the food section to pick up my favorite bites and hunt for new wines to taste. During the holiday season, this is where I go to select food and wine items to give as gifts. More often, they have my themed choices in a Christmas hamper.”
1. Keep it personal. Remembering random tidbits about the person & incorporating that in your gift adds a special touch. A coffee person will always love everything about coffee, chocolates for chocolate lovers, to mention a couple. M&S has Coffee Lovers’ Surprise, Chocolate Indulgence and Tea-Time Treats even a breakfast-themed Sunrise Bliss packed for you.
2. Instead of buying Christmas wrappers & bags, use what you already have at home & get creative! Or choose food presents in decorative hampers. They will find a use for a nice hamper. The M&S gold basket this year is quite elegant.
3. Whenever you can, support local makers & artisans. They make some of the most unique gifts. I wrap my food hampers with inabel blankets, which can also give the present an element of surprise. This way they get to enjoy two gifts, both they can take to a picnic.
4. Hit the bookstore ~ cookbooks and other books make great presents. Example, I incorporate a cookbook with an Italian selection. Pointers on new ways to cook pasta will always excite any home chef. Plus, the red wine is always great company while cooking and dining.
5. Sometimes the best gifts aren Ki material things, but experiences. Tickets to the museum, a yoga class, or a macramè workshop are sure to be appreciated. Shopping is an experience too, if not an art. Besides everybody needs retail therapy. A gift card from their favorite store can always excite, and if it’s from M&S, they get to choose their preferred apparel or fill their basket with the Christmas foodstuff they want to indulge on.
Fashion & food: M&S Collection and Christmas hampers are available at the Marks & Spencer stores in Abreeza Mall & SM Lanang Premier
Photography: Wizbren Ang
Make-up & Styling: Otoy Mercado
Location: M&S store & T’nalak Home at Abreeza Mall